Swiss-audio specialists Piega has revealed its new Master Line Source 3 speakers.
Continuing the Master Series’ family trait of a line source dipole speaker, the Master Line Source 3 (MLS 3) can be placed anywhere within a room.
The new dipole 3-way system with acoustic lens design embodies 30 years of the brands’ know-how and experience in building high-end speakers. MLS 3 implements two technological innovations: a more compact LineSourceDriver (LSD) and a bass driver manufactured from the latest modern membrane materials.
Like its sister models, the elegant floor-stander is designed as a line source with dipole emitter characteristics. Four ribbon tweeters guarantee a supremely natural, detailed, spatial sound. This is further enhanced by the two 180mm woofers and a pair of passive radiators of the same dimensions.
A smaller version of the ribbon for mid-range/high-frequency reproduction has been specially crafted. The four units are installed above each another and enable the MLS 3 to have a baffle width of only 23 centimeters. This grouping works based on the dipole principle and emits sound forwards and backward at the same time in the form of a vertical cylindrical sound wave. The benefit of this is that the audio reaches you directly, without being reflected from the ceiling and floor, and so produces an exceedingly clear and detailed sound pattern. Additionally, a slatted acoustic lens ensures a completely diffused sound field behind the MLS 3.
Creating clear, potent and deep bass from a compact cabinet is always a challenge. Piega has employed a pair of newly developed 180mm UHQD drivers in the MLS 3. We are told that this design produces dynamic and voluminous low-end even when the speakers aren’t being driven hard.
Continuing with the typically specific Swiss engineering, the entire loudspeaker baffle has been milled out of a solid aluminium block and boasts impressive stability and damping. The cabinet is constructed from a composite of medium-density fibreboard (MDF) and a heavy-duty viscoelastic film called Idikell. Together, the materials provide a substantial and rigid structure.
- Recommended amplifier output: 20 – 500 Watt
- Sensitivity: 92 dB/W/m
- Impedance: 4 Ohms
- Frequency range: 28 Hz – 50 kHz
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 165 x 23 x 33 cm
- Weight: 65 kg
- Design principle: Dipole 3-way system with acoustic lens
- Equipment: 4 x Line Source Drivers 111, 2 x 18 cm UHQD basses, 2 x 18 cm UHQD passive radiators
- Connection: Bi-Wiring/PIEGA multi-connectors
- Baffle in silver anodized aluminium, cabinet painted silver, speaker cover silver.
- Baffle in black anodized aluminium, cabinet painted high-gloss black, speaker cover black.
- Baffle in white, cabinet painted high-gloss white, speaker covers white or black.
- Baffle in black anodized aluminium, cabinet in Zebrano matt veneer speaker cover black.
The Piega Master Line Source 3 is ready for demonstration at Piega retailers.
More Info: Piega.